A guest post by member Brittney Rossie of The Adventure of Existence.
Slack is one of the best communication tools that is out there and due to it’s focused and organized nature it is quickly becoming a contender for the ever popular Facebook group.
But one thing that holds people back from making the jump from Facebook to Slack is the nature of needing to on-board new team members manually. This creates a lot of opportunities to drop new members, students and clients through the cracks.
When they reach out to correct the simple error, it takes 5-15 minutes to read the email, respond, send the invite, follow up and then you workflow for the day has been interrupted. You may as well go make a bagel sandwich now that you’ve lost your creative streak.
But what if you could avoid the possibility of people slipping through the cracks by automating the process?
Well, now you can. All it requires is creating an app.
Now, before you start freaking out about not knowing code, let me reassure you that I don’t know code either. And while the process isn’t necessarily intuitive, it doesn’t require you to be a rocket surgeon.
Fortunately for you, this will take you 5-15 minutes depending on how fast you type whereas it took me two days to find the quickest and easiest way to do this after much trial and error.
Are you ready for the most productive 15 minutes of your day and to automate this aspect of your online business?
Here’s what you need to do:
1. Open a tab in your browser and create a Slack Team Account. Keep it open.
2. Click this link: https://github.com/outsideris/slack-invite-automation. Scroll down and click the purple Deploy to Github Button.
3. When it re-directs you to Heroku, create an account. (It’s free.)
4. Now here’s the really technical part so I’ve provided a picture.
- Name your App.
- Name Your Team
- A Tutorial Community
- Add your Slack Team Url
- Add your Slack Token
- Because you left the slack tab open and are logged into your account, just click this link: https://api.slack.com/web It will automatically take you to page where you can find your API token. Click Create Token, then copy and paste the long string of letters and numbers.
. Click Deploy For Free. Watch all the codey-gobbledy-gook and eat a cookie.
7. Click View.
8. YOU DID IT!!! This is your App! Copy the url and add it to a button on a designated page or an automated email. Let your customers, clients and students on-board themselves automatically!
Now in case that was too confusing, here’s a tutorial where I walk through all the steps and create an app from scratch.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/36eBSa6W8_g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Happy Automating and Solo-preneuring!